DRAGSTAR - Gathering all CARS & BIKES FANATICS
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
DRAGSTAR - Gathering all CARS & BIKES FANATICS

Singapore Cars and Bikes

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Suspensions

Go down 
+3
valenexodus
silverspoon
avielboys
7 posters
AuthorMessage
avielboys
O.J.T Moderator
O.J.T Moderator
avielboys

Male
Number of posts : 187
Registration date : 2009-02-10

Suspensions Empty
PostSubject: Suspensions   Suspensions Icon_minitimeSat Feb 21, 2009 7:00 pm

Hi folks just wondering, what brand of suspensions are you thinking of getting ?

• Tein
  • Cusco
  • Koni
  • GAB
  • Monroe
  • HWL
  • D2
  • IMP
  • GReddy
  • KYB
  • AMP
  • K Sport
  • Bilstein

I mean with reasons of course.
Back to top Go down
http://www.powerpackengineering.blogspot.com
silverspoon
130km/hr
130km/hr
silverspoon

Male
Number of posts : 361
Registration date : 2009-02-14

Suspensions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Suspensions   Suspensions Icon_minitimeSat Feb 21, 2009 9:14 pm

Have always like Tein.... Like it for the knocking sound it produces.... lol! lol!
Back to top Go down
valenexodus
Commitee Member
Commitee Member
valenexodus

Male
Number of posts : 375
Registration date : 2009-02-18

Suspensions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Suspensions   Suspensions Icon_minitimeSat Feb 21, 2009 11:31 pm

What models are good in this case?

If i'm gonna change my car to coilovers, i will use Eibach =)
Back to top Go down
http://www.new.facebook.com/home.php#/profile.php?id=631332956&r
dfx
P Plater
P Plater
dfx

Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2009-02-13

Suspensions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Suspensions   Suspensions Icon_minitimeSun Feb 22, 2009 3:49 pm

I'm running with Cusco Zero 1 now. Why Cusco?
100% R & D and Make In Japan for Nihon car will never go wrong Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
avielboys
O.J.T Moderator
O.J.T Moderator
avielboys

Male
Number of posts : 187

Suspensions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Suspensions   Suspensions Icon_minitimeTue Feb 24, 2009 9:34 pm

I prefer Cusco too, reliable brand, used quite often in Japanese mod cars.

But facing reality, I would take GAB or IMP mainly due to budget wise.

Bo bian, poor man still wanna zhng car so have to use alternatives lor ...

GAB and IMP are cheaper alternatives which I have seen pple fix in their car but KYB, also quite cheap but never see pple fix in car before so leave KYB out.

BTW this is only my opinion ...
Back to top Go down
http://www.powerpackengineering.blogspot.com
Fahrzeug
P Plater
P Plater
Fahrzeug

Male
Number of posts : 46
Registration date : 2009-02-16

Suspensions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Suspensions   Suspensions Icon_minitimeTue Feb 24, 2009 10:38 pm

valenexodus wrote:

I always hear people talking about 'coilovers'. Does anyone know what is a coil over? Is it a shock absorber? Or some performance enhancing elixir?
Back to top Go down
http://www.zf.com/corporate/en/company/organization/powertrain_s
bluecity
O.J.T Moderator
O.J.T Moderator
bluecity

Male
Number of posts : 277

Suspensions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Suspensions   Suspensions Icon_minitimeTue Feb 24, 2009 10:49 pm

Fahrzeug wrote:
valenexodus wrote:

I always hear people talking about 'coilovers'. Does anyone know what is a coil over? Is it a shock absorber? Or some performance enhancing elixir?

Yes, it's another type of shock absorber.. usually it comes with a set with the spring wrap alone with the absorber aka coil over strut.

This information will give you a better understanding. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coilover
Back to top Go down
http://www.brisk.com.sg
Fahrzeug
P Plater
P Plater
Fahrzeug

Male

Suspensions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Suspensions   Suspensions Icon_minitimeTue Feb 24, 2009 11:08 pm

bluecity wrote:
Fahrzeug wrote:
valenexodus wrote:
Yes, it's another type of shock absorber.. usually it comes with a set with the spring wrap alone with the absorber aka coil over strut.
This information will give you a better understanding. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coilover

In other words, it is merely a damper with a coil spring wrapped around it in order to save space. Coilovers are not definitions of performance suspensions. Makes almost no difference with the macpherson struts. A phantom150 and 200 uses coil overs for their rear, the R1 uses coil overs for their rear too. It means it can be anything from performance to everyday road use.

But why are so many people obsessed with 'coilover' as though it is some performance enhancement tool? I heard a guy driving a Subaru WRX talking about improving his handling because he changed to 'coilovers', added a strut bar and changed his anti roll bar yet not improving his performance. But do they have the slightest idea what are those and what are they used for? Also the implications on the different type of such chassis components?
Back to top Go down
valenexodus
Commitee Member
Commitee Member
valenexodus

Male

Suspensions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Suspensions   Suspensions Icon_minitimeWed Feb 25, 2009 12:01 am

A coilover is a performance enhancement which acts like shock absorbers as well as being able to adjust the height of your ride by a bit (inches)

Its kinda nice to get coilovers, but coilovers are not cheap. esp if you get it in singapore.

I think one of the main reasons you would get coilovers is so that you can adjust the height of your ride as and when you like to as compared to performance springs and such.
Back to top Go down
Fahrzeug
P Plater
P Plater
Fahrzeug

Male

Suspensions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Suspensions   Suspensions Icon_minitimeWed Feb 25, 2009 9:45 am

valenexodus wrote:
A coilover is a performance enhancement which acts like shock absorbers as well as being able to adjust the height of your ride by a bit (inches)

Its kinda nice to get coilovers, but coilovers are not cheap. esp if you get it in singapore.

I think one of the main reasons you would get coilovers is so that you can adjust the height of your ride as and when you like to as compared to performance springs and such.

In that case, how do coilovers enhance performance? How are they similar to the conventional shock absorbers? So you meant that the conventional shock absorbers cannot do ride height adjustment?

That means people get coilovers because they need to adjust ride height just like when you change your springs to performance springs?
And again what do performance springs differ from conventional springs?

Why are coilovers not cheap?
Back to top Go down
valenexodus
Commitee Member
Commitee Member
valenexodus

Male

Suspensions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Suspensions   Suspensions Icon_minitimeWed Feb 25, 2009 11:17 am

Fahrzeug wrote:
valenexodus wrote:

In that case, how do coilovers enhance performance? How are they similar to the conventional shock absorbers? So you meant that the conventional shock absorbers cannot do ride height adjustment?

That means people get coilovers because they need to adjust ride height just like when you change your springs to performance springs?

Wa thats a lot of questions!

Hmmm as far as i've learnt about coilovers........

Stock springs are higher than sports springs, sports springs are better in performance, better spring suspension so i believe its a more comfortable ride. Sports springs are lower in height, closer to the ground by a little. As for coilovers, performance is basically like sports springs with adjustable height so you can adjust accordingly to where you drive etc.... whether you go off road or not.

And they are more expensive because of the adjustable height function, got a few more mechanisms and parts needed to make the springs adjustable.

Thats about what i know about coilovers. Hopefully i'm right about it =) Still learning myself.
Back to top Go down
Fahrzeug
P Plater
P Plater
Fahrzeug

Male

Suspensions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Suspensions   Suspensions Icon_minitimeWed Feb 25, 2009 11:38 am

valenexodus wrote:
Fahrzeug wrote:
valenexodus wrote:
Wa thats a lot of questions!
Hmmm as far as i've learnt about coilovers........
Stock springs are higher than sports springs, sports springs are better in performance, better spring suspension so i believe its a more comfortable ride. Sports springs are lower in height, closer to the ground by a little. As for coilovers, performance is basically like sports springs with adjustable height so you can adjust accordingly to where you drive etc.... whether you go off road or not.
And they are more expensive because of the adjustable height function, got a few more mechanisms and parts needed to make the springs adjustable.
Thats about what i know about coilovers. Hopefully i'm right about it =) Still learning myself.

If that is the case, what about cars that use torsion beams? For example Peugeot 206 rear axle, Jaguar E Type front and rear axle, Honda Civic Type R rear axle. They have no springs for rear. so what can coilovers do for them?
Stock springs are higher than sports springs and better in performance? What is the datum for performance?
Sports springs are better in performance because they are lower so it gives more comfort? How does it give more comfort?
For coilovers, you can adjust the ride height so driver can drive it as according to terrain? What about those cars without spring?
They are more expensive because of extra functions? So what about those coilovers that do not have extra functions like the motorcycle rear shock absorber for TA150/200? They cost merely $45 for 2. What is the definition of expensive?
Back to top Go down
marcng
P Plater
P Plater

Number of posts : 50
Registration date : 2009-02-15

Suspensions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Suspensions   Suspensions Icon_minitimeWed Feb 25, 2009 8:02 pm

im using D2 coilovers.....after sometimes got knocking sound...but used to it liao...
Back to top Go down
valenexodus
Commitee Member
Commitee Member
valenexodus

Male

Suspensions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Suspensions   Suspensions Icon_minitimeThu Feb 26, 2009 12:54 am

Fahrzeug wrote:

If that is the case, what about cars that use torsion beams? For example Peugeot 206 rear axle, Jaguar E Type front and rear axle, Honda Civic Type R rear axle. They have no springs for rear. so what can coilovers do for them?
Stock springs are higher than sports springs and better in performance? What is the datum for performance?
Sports springs are better in performance because they are lower so it gives more comfort? How does it give more comfort?
For coilovers, you can adjust the ride height so driver can drive it as according to terrain? What about those cars without spring?
They are more expensive because of extra functions? So what about those coilovers that do not have extra functions like the motorcycle rear shock absorber for TA150/200? They cost merely $45 for 2. What is the definition of expensive?

Wa seh! Flame me with questions.....

Hmmm i'll try to answer those i have an idea what the answer might be.

1) Sry i know nothing about those rear axles etc.... For my tucson, i have springs on all 4 of my tyres (4WD), so i guess you change springs on the front only? But i'm not sure how that affects the performance
2) I think what i meant is that sports springs compresses and expands smoother, thus giving you a smoother ride, i believe they use more premium, hardy, durable materials.
3) As for those cars without springs, have you tried riding them on rocky or very uneven terrain? I bet the ride would feel bad, springs soften the variability of the rocking etc...
4) Expensive....... hmmmm..... a set of Eibach Coilovers easily cost ~2 thousands i think. I think if those "coilovers" are non adjustable, i wouldn't really call it a coilover because it functions just like a normal sports performance spring.
5) Therefore, there is a difference from stock springs to sports performance springs to coilovers.

Coilovers > Sports Performance Springs > Stock Springs

I hope that clears your doubt. You really like bombarding me with questions haha.
Back to top Go down
valenexodus
Commitee Member
Commitee Member
valenexodus

Male

Suspensions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Suspensions   Suspensions Icon_minitimeThu Feb 26, 2009 12:54 am

OUCH sry, double post.
Back to top Go down
Fahrzeug
P Plater
P Plater
Fahrzeug

Male

Suspensions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Suspensions   Suspensions Icon_minitimeThu Feb 26, 2009 9:14 am

Hey Thanks for bother to read my long questions. I'm just concerned about the concept of such by people around. I'm just curious, how did you come to such a conclusion as you've said abt springs and coilovers?
Back to top Go down
valenexodus
Commitee Member
Commitee Member
valenexodus

Male

Suspensions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Suspensions   Suspensions Icon_minitimeThu Feb 26, 2009 10:44 am

Fahrzeug wrote:
Hey Thanks for bother to read my long questions. I'm just concerned about the concept of such by people around. I'm just curious, how did you come to such a conclusion as you've said abt springs and coilovers?

I generally read up on such stuff, hear from my friends, learnt from sites and magazines, watch some vids etc.

I am interest in learning more about cars and their enhancements thus a fair bit of knowledge on it.

I'm glad i was able to help you with the questions on the coilovers, sports springs and stock springs. Feel free to post any other stuff you might need answering so i can try to answer and let the others learn also for everyone's benefit.
Back to top Go down
Fahrzeug
P Plater
P Plater
Fahrzeug

Male

Suspensions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Suspensions   Suspensions Icon_minitimeThu Feb 26, 2009 11:13 am

valenexodus wrote:
Fahrzeug wrote:

I generally read up on such stuff, hear from my friends, learnt from sites and magazines, watch some vids etc.

I am interest in learning more about cars and their enhancements thus a fair bit of knowledge on it.

I'm glad i was able to help you with the questions on the coilovers, sports springs and stock springs. Feel free to post any other stuff you might need answering so i can try to answer and let the others learn also for everyone's benefit.

Thanks, are there any inputs from other people over the term 'coilovers' or any suspensions matters?
Back to top Go down
silverspoon
130km/hr
130km/hr
silverspoon

Male

Suspensions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Suspensions   Suspensions Icon_minitimeThu Feb 26, 2009 3:09 pm

Fahrzeug wrote:

Coilovers or lowering springs doesn't enhance performance.... It enhances the handling of your car....

Cars with torsion beams also has springs on.... there are also coilovers that are designed for cars with torsion beam.... Stock springs are normally designed for a more subdued and comfort drive... Lower springs doesn't not necessary gives you a comfort drive.... comfort or no comfort veri much depends on the spring rate...

Normally coilovers are more expensive then lowered springs cost it comes in a set with shock absorbers... you can't compare motorcycle parts with car's.... Bike parts are mostly lower priced that car's....

Hope my explaination is clear enough for you to understand... Wink Wink
Back to top Go down
valenexodus
Commitee Member
Commitee Member
valenexodus

Male

Suspensions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Suspensions   Suspensions Icon_minitimeThu Feb 26, 2009 3:38 pm

Thanks for the extra info, i learnt some new stuff about torsion beams and such.
Back to top Go down
Fahrzeug
P Plater
P Plater
Fahrzeug

Male

Suspensions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Suspensions   Suspensions Icon_minitimeThu Feb 26, 2009 3:57 pm

valenexodus wrote:
Thanks for the extra info, i learnt some new stuff about torsion beams and such.

All I can say is when we meet, I can tell you more. There's a guideline from Corp comm that forbids my communication in regards to my work online.
Back to top Go down
valenexodus
Commitee Member
Commitee Member
valenexodus

Male

Suspensions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Suspensions   Suspensions Icon_minitimeThu Feb 26, 2009 10:07 pm

Fahrzeug wrote:
valenexodus wrote:

All I can say is when we meet, I can tell you more. There's a guideline from Corp comm that forbids my communication in regards to my work online.

Thanks, would be glad to hear more about it and learn more technical things about cars. =)

Will be looking forward to meetup!
Back to top Go down
silverspoon
130km/hr
130km/hr
silverspoon

Male

Suspensions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Suspensions   Suspensions Icon_minitimeSun Mar 01, 2009 12:50 pm

Fahrzeug wrote:
valenexodus wrote:

Yo bro... Thanks for sharing such great info.... All your views are veri informative and I pickup some knowledge along theway... Its a pity that I can't attend last Friday's session... We must meetup someday..... Wink Wink Wink
Back to top Go down
valenexodus
Commitee Member
Commitee Member
valenexodus

Male

Suspensions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Suspensions   Suspensions Icon_minitimeSun Mar 01, 2009 10:54 pm

Soon we'll all get the chance to meet up and discuss on suspensions and everything else =)
Back to top Go down
silverspoon
130km/hr
130km/hr
silverspoon

Male

Suspensions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Suspensions   Suspensions Icon_minitimeSun Mar 08, 2009 12:45 pm

valenexodus wrote:
Soon we'll all get the chance to meet up and discuss on suspensions and everything else =)

Thats great!!! Will look forward to that... Wink Wink
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Suspensions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Suspensions   Suspensions Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Suspensions
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
DRAGSTAR - Gathering all CARS & BIKES FANATICS :: Performance, Technical and Cars Related :: Others-
Jump to: