DRAGSTAR - Gathering all CARS & BIKES FANATICS
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
DRAGSTAR - Gathering all CARS & BIKES FANATICS

Singapore Cars and Bikes

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Why and when use/install gauges?

Go down 
+2
avielboys
Admin
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Admin
Admin
Admin
Admin

Male
Number of posts : 161
Registration date : 2009-02-09

Why and when use/install gauges? Empty
PostSubject: Why and when use/install gauges?   Why and when use/install gauges? Icon_minitimeSun Feb 15, 2009 11:12 pm

Lets discuss on the market brand and their function.

Defi
Autogauge
Prosport

Can anybody tell me what is the Vacumm, fuel and air ratio, boost for? I am quote confused by this 3 gauges Question
Back to top Go down
https://dragstar.forumotion.com
avielboys
O.J.T Moderator
O.J.T Moderator
avielboys

Male
Number of posts : 187
Registration date : 2009-02-10

PostSubject: Re: Why and when use/install gauges?   Why and when use/install gauges? Icon_minitimeMon Feb 16, 2009 12:41 pm

paiseh i cannot help you there boss ... i driving carburetter car so gauges is pretty much for show
Back to top Go down
http://www.powerpackengineering.blogspot.com
dfx
P Plater
P Plater
dfx

Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2009-02-13

PostSubject: Re: Why and when use/install gauges?   Why and when use/install gauges? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 17, 2009 7:20 pm

xxx wrote:

Critical meters are:

1. Oil Temp

Engine oil is the lifeblood of the whole engine block. It lubricates and protects mechanical parts from excessive wear. However the engine oil has its heat limitation before it reached its flashpoint and starts to breakdown. For such sensor, it is best to attach it to the oil pan or a sandwich between the oil filters. It is important to know that if oil temperature is hitting 130 to 140C, your oil is about being cooked. This means that a judgment call is needed for a bigger radiator, and/or a bigger fan, and/or oil cooler.

2. Water Temp

Water or coolant acts to cool the engine and oil by means of a heat exchange via the radiator. This is one very important parameter to monitor as the OEM gauge is rather inaccurate as there is no numeric indication. It is interesting to know that water temp is more or less equal or higher (usually the case) then the oil temp, and if it is shooting pass 110C to 130C, then it could mean that your fan is not coping, a lower thermostat is needed, the OEM radiator is not coping or that there is a leak somewhere.

3. Exhaust Temp

The exhaust temperature is a little more tricky here but basically it monitor how your pistons are coping depending on the engine, it should stabilize at one point but if it continues to go up then it could mean that the current AF ratio and ignition timing is not right, or that the current cooling system is not efficient for heat control.

4. Boost (or intake manifold Pressure)

Boost and intake manifold pressure basically shows you how much pressure the FI system is pumping into your combustion chamber. The regular boost meter shows the positive pressure, and the intake manifold shows you a range from negative to positive. However for intake manifold pressure, the positive pressure shown is pretty limited.

Good to have meters are:

1. Oil Pressure

This meter basically shows you how much oil pressure you have and it’s important should you have large oil coolers. You need to know what sort of pressure you have while you engine is at optimum point and should you loss pressure that is an indication that there is a leak some where, and if you should be driving, you need to back off from the accelerator.

2. Fuel Pressure

For Defi, this is a pretty good gauge to have, as it will work together with the boost gauge to give you a pressure differential. This is very important for FI cars as if you are not having enough fuel pressure in accordance to the amount of boost, then one is just playing for time before detonation occurs.

With all these meters, there is no hard and fast rules to it but it helps you understand the condition of the engine while it is running and helps you make a better judgment call when needed....
Back to top Go down
king_ziege
king_ziege

Number of posts : 158
Registration date : 2009-02-09

PostSubject: Re: Why and when use/install gauges?   Why and when use/install gauges? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 17, 2009 9:12 pm

Solid stuffs!! I will put this up as "Why and when use/install gauges?!!!"
Back to top Go down
bluecity
O.J.T Moderator
O.J.T Moderator
bluecity

Male
Number of posts : 277
Registration date : 2009-02-10

PostSubject: Re: Why and when use/install gauges?   Why and when use/install gauges? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 17, 2009 10:48 pm

avielboys wrote:
paiseh i cannot help you there boss ... i driving carburetter car so gauges is pretty much for show

Carb cars also can put gauges.

In fact, I would call them world time. Razz

Ok, back to topic.

Carb cars also have vacuum, oil pressure, oil temp, etc. Therefore, still can use.
Back to top Go down
http://www.brisk.com.sg
Auto-Link
P Plater
P Plater

Male
Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2009-03-08

PostSubject: Re: Why and when use/install gauges?   Why and when use/install gauges? Icon_minitimeFri Mar 13, 2009 4:04 pm

i using silent's water temp, oil temp and oil press to monitor my car. jus in case my car over heat when i'm going and high speed or high rev..
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Why and when use/install gauges?   Why and when use/install gauges? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Why and when use/install gauges?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
DRAGSTAR - Gathering all CARS & BIKES FANATICS :: Performance, Technical and Cars Related :: Others-
Jump to: